Sunday, June 19, 2011

iPhone Photo Monday: Interruption


I read somewhere that a pattern is the most effective compositional element...after an interrupted pattern, that is.

It's funny, because I had no intent on tying this photo to my life. But once I thought about the title for this post, it was almost too obvious.

I've been blogging a lot less than I'd like lately. Truthfully, I've been doing a lot less of a lot of things than I'd like...exercising, zumba, laundry, cooking, spending time with the people who matter most in my life. And it's as a result of some recent interruptions.

Interruptions, which normally are linked to change, get a bad rap. They create a whirlwind, like a hurricane, spiraling out of control. And when it happens, life moves too fast. It's hard to catch up. I feel like a storm chaser, exhausting myself in my pursuit of the life that's spinning away from me.

But truthfully, the recent interruptions in my life are inherently good things. A change of scenery at the day job. Planning the biggest party of my life around my favorite thing in the whole world - love. Seeing my favorite Broadway musical, going to celebrate a special occasion with a good friend. How can I resent these things for upending my normal routine?

I can't. They are the signs that I'm living a full life. So I've made a decision to embrace the joy and exuberance that these interruptions bring because the normal pattern will resume after they have passed. I will need those things that are falling by the wayside today to bring me everyday happiness and contentment and find pleasure in the routine. And when that happens, I can then focus on relishing the peace that comes with it, like the calm after a storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment