Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Material Loves

I will be the first to admit that I am addicted to buying new things. No, really, I think it runs in my family, my dad's side of the family. If I go too long without buying something new, I start to get weepy and show all the signs of a full-on depression.  Secretly, I hope that the people who have to see me like this every day get so tired of it, they want to just give me the money to go out and get something so that they don't have to see me so sad. But alas, that hasn't happened yet. Guess I need to spend some time in front of the mirror practicing my sad puppy dog face - maybe that will help my cause.

So now, I give you my list of things I am not-so-secretly coveting. Please do your best to forgive my greediness.



1. An iMac. My sad little college laptop is acting like a little old man. It's hard for him to get up these days and he's moving pretty slowly. And if I ever want to be able to learn #3 on my list, well, we may have to find a funeral home for my little old Gateway. Once you go Mac, you never go back. (And can we talk about how pretty they are? I really don't care what's inside of it, I want it because it looks awesome).

2. A Nikon 50mm f/1.4g AF-S lens. Pretty much the best portrait taking lens. For the style of photography I want to do, fixed lenses are where it's at. I'm going to be second shooting a wedding soon, and this lens is on the top of my list of things I need to get before that big day.

3. Photoshop. Picnik will only hold me for so long.

4. A Nikon SB-900 flash. It's a little on the expensive side. But this great photographer I know once made the mistake of buying a less-expensive flash and then ended up upgrading only a few months later. So the big boy is going on my list. Oh, and I get to learn how to use it on April 5th!

5. Jose Villa's new book. Because his pictures are di-vine. And maybe I could learn a thing or two from him. But mostly, it's pretty.

6. Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set. I've been thinking about signing up for his online training program...but I've been holding out until I cross numbers 1 and 3 off my list. As an alternative, I could use these books immediately. I mean, Mr. Kelby is almost God, and this is like the Bible.

7. The Dreamy Diana Lens. Along with my love of film, I also love all the lomography stuff that's back in style. It's a little experimental, but that's what makes it so fun.

So there you have it, all the things that are on my to-buy list. Unless some generous person decides to give them to me for my birthday (and in case you forgot, it's now 24 days away, so you all better get shopping). Or maybe I'll win the lottery. Maybe I should add a lottery ticket to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment