Friday, March 1, 2013

DIY Diary // 02




Sometimes a DIY project will never get done if you don't step outside your comfort zone.

Last summer, I decided to take the plunge on a website and attend the Sitehouse Go Live! Workshop in Phoenix to make it happen. It was the best decision I made for my business that year. Not only did it result in a website, I still keep in touch with the girls I met there and love cheering them on with their latest pursuits. But even more, it was an opportunity to learn a new skill that I can use to enhance my business, brand, and online personality for years to come, which is why I'm super glad I made that investment.

Making my own website was a huge undertaking, and I know that I might not have one today had I not decided to spend money in order to put aside the time to make it happen. In fact, as my little business baby and I have grown together, it's time to reflect that in my online presence...and believe it or not, I've been working on it (inconsistently) for over two months now, which feels like forever considering the first version was mostly put together in two days. The point is, getting started on a major project is the hardest part and sometimes you have to give of your most precious resources and remove yourself from your daily routine in order to get yourself into the frame of mind to just do it.

This doesn't only apply to business pursuits - it goes for my kitchen and my bare walls and the dresser that desperately needs to be painted in my bedroom. There's probably not a workshop that I can fly to to get help with these things, but I can go buy the paint. I can buy picture frames and invest in some prints from Etsy artists. I can go to Anthropologie and find some fabulous new drawer pulls to spruce up that dresser. Whatever project it is that has you with one foot on either side of the fence, identify a step you can do and then go for it. I promise you won't regret it in the end.

______________________________

P.S. If you are a photographer (or really, any small business owner) and want to build your website with one of the world's coolest designers and her team...check out the Sitehouse Workshop that's happening in April. Feel free to email me with any questions you have...I can talk your ear off with tales of it's awesomeness :)




No comments:

Post a Comment