Monday, October 10, 2011

Cat. Yarn. Disaster.



His cuteness might almost fool you. Into thinking he's a sweetheart.

But the truth is, he's a booger. Really.

A year ago, I started knitting these handwarmers as a Christmas gift. Yeah, I'm all domestic, thanks to my grandmother. It was a stretch before I even began, as I have a bad habit of starting a knitting project as the weather begins to turn cool, and before it even gets cold, I have set it aside to finish the following year. Ugh. I blame it on my short attention span.

So I set the unfinished project aside. On a table. Right before I fell asleep. And when I woke up, the yarn ball had disappeared. The only clue as to where it might be was a happy cat and single string, which I followed all. the. way. across. the house. Not the room, the house. And it lead me right to a pile of tangled yarn. And that should have been where I learned my lesson.

I untangled it. I was determined to finish this project.

It didn't get done by Christmas. Neither did the second pair that I had planned to make.

And because I had learned my lesson, I put the unfinished handwarmer with extra yarn high on a bookshelf where little kitty paws could not go.

Except that even though we do not share DNA, Aslan has adopted some of my best traits. I should probably turn my "I will find a way or make one" bracelet into a collar for him.

Ben came home one day to once again find a trail of yarn strewn across the house, curled up with a very satisfied ball of fur at the end. And that was when the project was relegated to a drawer, where I would not have to look at the gigantic knot that needed to be untangled before it could be finished.

Until this week. When I didn't already have enough on my plate, I decided to pull out the disaster and fix it. So that I could finish the project this year. Before it gets cold.

And even if it did take me three hours a night, four nights of my life, those handwarmers are ready to be finished.

And then I might be finished with knitting. Or my cat. The only thing is, they both drive me insane, and yet I can't stay sane without either.

No comments:

Post a Comment