Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Grubb Family



Well, hello, Fall. It is nice of you to have arrived. Your early evening light and vibrant colors make my photo subjects look so beautiful.

Case in point: the Grubb Family. Tracy, Kevin, and their three boys, Adam, Alex, and Noah.

Here's what you need to know: these boys are like my little brothers. A long time ago, when I was old enough to stay at home by myself and no longer needed daycare, my mom decided I should spend my summer vacations being the daycare provider. Except that she gave it a nicer name: Mother's Helper. I started helping at the Grubb house the summer that Noah was born. And in two years, he will be as old as I was when he was born. Crazy how time flies. But I have watched all of them grow up into fun, outgoing, respectful, strapping boys. And I couldn't be more proud of anyone.

So Tracy was the mom I got to help out. And the funny thing about it, is that I think over the years, she has given me more help than I could ever possibly give her. Through the tumultuous years of my teenagerhood, she was such a good source of advice and always had a listening ear, especially for those things that I couldn't tell my mom (don't worry, mom, it wasn't anything bad - just teenage girl woes). In addition to letting me come on vacations with them, they opened their house to my family, inviting us over for dinner at least one night a week, and hosted my graduation party. When it came time for me learn how to drive, Kevin was willing to take his life in his hands, hop into the passenger seat, and show me how to navigate the open road (and to this day, I still yell at people who brake on the highway...one of the lessons I learned from him early on :o). And then, when I had to buy my first car, Kevin helped me pick out exactly the right one, learn to drive it - stick shift - and has helped resurrect it a time or two since.

Needless to say, I am honored to be able to document this family for their holiday-card-picture this year. In fact, I might have to photoshop them into my holiday family photo...because they are the type of friends who have most certainly become part of my family.

Btdubs, this is my new favorite photo. I know, I know, I have a new one every week...








A sweet Mom & Dad shot.


Tracy specifically requested this picture. Because it is exactly how she sees her family.


And just because this is totally typical of 11-year-olds...


Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment