Sunday, September 18, 2011

Alysia + Michael: Engaged!


I remember the night she called me at midnight.

I was sitting next to Ben on my mom's sofa when the theme song from Bewitched started playing on my phone. When I looked down, I saw her name and immediately assumed she was calling to tell me someone had died. Or some other terrible tragedy.

She was in tears, but they weren't tears of sadness. They were tears of joy.

"Michael proposed. We're engaged!" She said.

I screamed on cue. And Ben went deaf.

Alysia and I have been best friends since we were three. We were inseparable until middle school, when I moved to a different town, and therefore, a different school. Our families became each other's families because all of our extended families are spread across the country. We still do Christmas, Thanksgiving, and Easter dinner together every year.

Having grown up together, I always knew that whoever "caught" Alysia would be very lucky indeed. I loved every second we spent together, playing Barbies, getting in trouble, having sleepovers.  She was the reason everything was fun. She was adventurous and brought everyone along for the ride. And I wasn't the only one who wanted to join in. In second grade, on the playground, she had all of the boys following her, crawling on hands and knees, as her wolf pack. Of which she was the leader, and could get them to do anything she wanted.

Michael is her perfect mate. He shares in her humor. He loves playing Settlers of Catan with her younger brother, or really any board game with anyone. Which is fortunate, because that's what we do after said holiday dinners. He spent months searching for the perfect ring - one that didn't sit up too high and wouldn't poke through the latex gloves that Alysia wears every day at work. He provides for her and their sweet puppy, Zoie. Next to Michael, Alysia loves dogs more than anything else. Without him, she said, they wouldn't have been able to train and care for the love of their lives, their furry child.

Michael fell in love with Alysia and together they are embarking on the best adventure of their lives.

I was fortunate enough to grab them for a hot second during my recent trip to San Diego. When they first moved to California, they lived in La Jolla, five minutes from the shores. Michael proposed on the beach there, so we decided to head to the ocean for their engagement pictures!



















To Alysia and Michael: I cannot wait to be a part of your wedding! You two are so special and you have a best friend in each other. Thank you for letting me be a small part of it...and you are certainly the most "unique" and beautiful couple I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment