Thursday, April 14, 2011

Originality vs Inspiration

Sometimes, I wonder who I'm going to become.

There is this fight inside of me to "just be myself" but yet I am inspired and want to be "just like" so many someone elses. I love their art or their words or their perspective or their knowledge. I try not to forget that I have all of those things too...and that I just need more time to bring them to the surface. And yet, I don't want to be a copy of someone else, but how do you separate yourself from your influences?

Apparently, I'm not alone. Chase Jarvis posted this on his blog the other day:
The history of the world is one of shared spaces, shared food, shared water, shared DNA, shared lives. The history of art is the same. It is a history of an evolution of ideas, of appropriation and application. Therefore, if you’re looking for inspiration, look no further than 1. inside you; and then 2. to other art work that fuels your soul. Apply your own story to what you see. Make it relevant, make it yours. Remix it all and you’re underway. Filmmaker Jim Jarmusch says it best:

“Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is nonexistent.”

He makes it sound so simple. Feed your soul and your true self will emerge. LOVE IT.

It's soul food time. Time for more books, more music, more blogs, more magazines, more friends, more writing, more love and snuggles. What feeds your soul?

No comments:

Post a Comment